What kind of assistance does State Schools' Relief provide?

State Schools’ Relief provides support to any Victorian student attending a government school (primary, secondary or specialist), on the advice of the school.  If families require financial assistance with their child’s uniform, school shoes, textbooks, swimwear, school bags, underwear, socks, hats, Myki cards, etc. they will need to request an appointment with the school Principal, Assistant Principal or Wellbeing/Welfare Coordinator to discuss their situation. The school can then place an application for assistance directly with us, on the family/carer’s behalf.

Do I need a health care/pension card to access State Schools’ Relief assistance?

It is important to know that we do not require any kind of proof of eligibility, e.g. health care card, etc. in order to receive our support.

How do I apply?

State Schools’ Relief can only respond to requests directly from your child’s school. If you are struggling to provide your child's uniform, please request an appointment with the school principal, assistant principal or wellbeing/welfare coordinator to discuss your situation.

Am I eligible to receive State Schools’ Relief assistance?

State Schools’ Relief provides support to any Victorian student attending a government school (primary, secondary or specialist), on the advice of the school

Situations may include, but are not limited to, the following:

  • Health issues / serious illness resulting in serious financial difficulties
  • Unemployment
  • House fires
  • Bereavement
  • Domestic violence
  • Independent living / homelessness
  • Natural disasters


Where do I pick the uniform up from?

Stock from State Schools' Relief will be sent by courier directly to your child’s school. Authorised purchases of branded items will need to be collected from the school uniform retailer. Details regarding the location of the school uniform retailer can be obtained from the school.

Parents will be required to pay the difference between our subsidy and the retail cost of the item at uniform shop/supplier.

Please be advised that our service is anonymous and discreet. There is nothing on the packaging to indicate that the item has come from us. Should you have a question regarding an application for State Schools’ Relief assistance, please contact your child’s school directly.

How long does it take to receive the items?

Once we receive the application, it will be processed and dispatched within a week. Please be advised that during peak times this turnaround can vary.

Can you still assist if the school has a specific uniform i.e. with a logo?

Yes, these items are subsidised by State Schools’ Relief, parents will have to pay the difference between the subsidy and the cost of the item.

How much will I need to pay?

Often, SSR can provide whole school uniforms, shoes, etc. at no cost at all (depending on the school's uniform design, etc.). Where we are unable to provide an item (due to contractual agreements with uniform retailers) we will provide a voucher to help with the cost. Please be advised that in this instance, a small gap-payment may be required.
(Uniform prices vary from school to school, as do primary and secondary items. Once your application is authorised by your child’s school, we will be able to provide you with information regarding the co-payment amount).

If I have used State Schools’ Relief previously, can I apply again?

Yes, schools can submit applications on behalf of students/families based on the normal assessment of need. There is also no limit to the amount of times a student can request SSR assistance.

If I have more than one child, can I apply for support for all of my children?

Yes, as long as they attend a Victorian state government school.